The Institute is an independent charity established to accelerate the delivery of economically, environmentally and socially sustainable cities and communities.
We seek to:
- Establish practical demonstration projects which accelerate our understanding of how to deliver sustainable places
- Measure, monitor and evaluate projects to ensure learning is captured and disseminated
- Develop and deliver projects which accelerate systemic innovation and market growth.
The Institute plays a number of roles in supporting and enabling projects. These include:
- Acting as an independent facilitator
- Leveraging funding
- Project creation
- Shaping and guiding projects from inception through to delivery
- Project management
- Capturing and sharing knowledge and best practice.
Our activity focuses on the areas which we believe present the greatest challenge – and opportunity – to creating sustainable cities and communities. These are resource efficient buildings, sustainable infrastructure and resources and transport and logistics, all of which feed into our cross-cutting projects and programmes. These concentrate on integrated, systems approaches to sustainable development, covering a diverse but inter-related range of elements that have an economic, social and environmental impact on the places we live and work. A number of our cross-cutting projects have a specific focus on innovation (technology, approaches and services) and supply chains.